Thursday 27 June 2013

When a chance arises...

... say "yes".

About a month ago, I was approached by the head of sports volunteering in Nottinghamshire. He told me that during the opening ceremony for the Nottinghamshire School Games on 5th July, an annual level 3 sporting event in the region, there would be a few athletes interviewed and he asked if I would like to be the one doing the interviewing.

Naturally, I jumped at the opportunity; that is something that I have always done.

My journey into sport started when I offered to volunteer at West Bridgford Colts Football Club in 2009, as part of my Duke of Edinburgh Award, a role which I carried on until leaving at the end of last season. Since that moment, I have been offered various different opportunities, but the key is that I have always said "yes". I have since undertaken many different roles in sport, some fun, some not so fun.

One of those opportunities was to become part of the Youth Sport Trust Young Ambassador programme in 2010. When I first started on the programme, I had no idea what being part of it meant or what it could lead to. Then last year, following an interview process, I was offered a place on the programme's national Steering Group - all that from just saying "yes" when asked if I wanted to find out more about it.

The opportunity to interview the athletes at the opening ceremony of the Nottinghamshire School Games was offered to me because of my role on the Young Ambassador Steering Group. I have also been offered the opportunity to volunteer during the first two days of the first Ashes test at Trent Bridge as a 'reward' for the work that I have done in sport in the area and for representing the county on a national level.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is this: Even when something doesn't necessarily seem that appealing at first (which, if I'm honest, the Young Ambassador Programme didn't), you should stick with it and eventually, you will start to see the benefit; if you jump at opportunities, opportunities will eventually jump back at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment