Monday 24 June 2013

Return to Blogging!

My first post for over two years - so here goes! There are a few reasons I've decided to make a return, the first being that, having now finished my A2 exams, I am faced with a summer during which there will be times that I am doing very little, so thought that this could be something to keep me occupied. Secondly, I have noticed that a few of my friends have started blogging, so I am basically re-jumping on the bandwagon!

The third reason forms the premise for this post; the fascinating weekend of sport that we have just witnessed.

A perfect example of why to always believe...

Ken Duke's Sunday was a remarkable one. He started the day, the final day of the Travelers Championship, on -8, two shots behind leaders Bubba Watson and Charley Hoffman. He shot -4 for the final round to finish the day level at the top of the leaderboard with Chris Stroud on -12 - but that doesn't tell the full story. In what was a remarkable final few holes, 'The Duke' repeatedly looked to have blown his chance, only to scramble a result - such as on the last, where his experience certainly helped as he played a lovely 8 iron out of thick rough on the last that rolled up to the side of the green, leaving him a chip and a putt for par - a par that looked to have won him the championship. That was until Stroud managed to chip in for birdie on the last and take it to a playoff. He did, however, manage to eventually win the competition on the second playoff hole, putting a fantastic sand wedge to four feet, before tapping in for birdie and the win.

At 44, Duke was able to win his first ever PGA tournament. For me, this is one of the reasons that golf is one of the best sports around - the psychological aspect. The mental strength that Duke has shown this weekend to get his first win, whilst nearing the end of his career was excellent. He has shown it not only in the desire to keep playing despite no previous career wins, but also on a day where everything seemed to be going against him, only for him to come up trumps in the end.

Strange decisions at the top...

I'm not going to pretend to know the first thing about cricket seeing as, quite frankly, I don't. But one thing I couldn't help but notice from the ICC Champions Trophy final at Edgbaston yesterday was this: the refusal from the ICC to let the game continue past half 8 at night.

Not only does daylight last until around half 9 at this time of year, but Edgbaston is equipped with a perfectly functioning set of floodlights - so why couldn't they have let the game go on much later, instead of reducing it to a 20 over game?

Spare a thought for an Aussie...

Whilst rugby is not my sport of choice, I do enjoy watching the odd big game or two from the comfort of my living room. So naturally I tuned in to watch the Lions in the first test match against Australia on Saturday. And whilst, as a Brit, I was obviously delighted with the outcome of the match, I have to say that I felt sorry for a certain Australian kicker.

Kurtley Beale's slip in the lead up to his missed penalty attempt in the dying seconds handed victory to the Lions and, whilst that will probably be the moment the game is remembered by, it could be argued that his miss a few minutes earlier from an easier position, was the moment that in fact won the match and gave the Lions the advantage in the test series.

No comments:

Post a Comment