Monday 8 July 2013

An Immense Weekend!

Where to start?! The weekend just gone managed to produce an incredible viewing of sport that I didn't think could be possible with the absence of football!

walesonline.co.uk
The British and Irish Lions were the ones that started it all off, clinching their first series victory for 16 years in style, condemning Australia to a 41-16 defeat. I suppose you could say they were mauled or even 'malled' - too many bad puns to handle there! The scoreline makes it seem a routine victory - which, in many ways, it was - but within it there was also an incredible show of mental strength. With Gatland having dropped Brian O'Driscoll, many were criticising his decision as well as his naming so many Welsh players in his starting XV - I bet he's feeling pretty smug about that one! To win in such style amid that pressure is impressive, but there was also an incredible display of character midway through the game. It could have had a crippling effect on the team's performance when the Wallabies pulled the tie back to 19-16 in favour of the tourists, who had at one stage been leading by 16 points, and many teams could have collapsed and lost the match and the series in that situation. But the Lions didn't and in the end managed to run out comfortable winners and claim victory, setting the tone for what was to come over the weekend.

Then, if you are of a Nottinghamshire persuasion, the day got better. It must strike fear in the eyes of the opposition when Alex Hales and Michael Lumb step out into the middle to open the batting for the Outlaws, exemplified by Lumb's fantastic 96 against the Durham Dynamos on Saturday. His form is as hot as the temperature at the minute and Notts seem to be stand-out one-day side this year - let's just hope they can get a bit more luck in this year's T20 competition.

Then to Sunday afternoon - and what an afternoon it was! Firstly, although the German Grand Prix had an incredibly predictable outcome - Vettel winning again - I have to say that I found it entertaining. I'm not usually one for watching Formula 1, I have to admit. In fact, in the past, I found it perfect on a Sunday afternoon during the football season to arrive home from a Sunday league game, sit and watch the first few laps, fall asleep and wake up in time to see the winner. But this week's actually managed to keep me enthused throughout. I think it was the constant tactical changes that had to be made throughout the race that kept my attention, with teams changing their drivers from two to three stop strategies for various reasons and I just found it fascinating - then again, maybe I'm just sad?

www.andymurray.com
Then, by the end of the Grand Prix, I was able to flick over to BBC One, in time to see the weekend's main talking point. I'm quite open about not being a fan of tennis - I just don't like the sport - but it must have been the patriot within me that made me watch Andy Murray see off Novak Djokovic in straight sets to become the first British winner of Wimbledon since 1936, and you know what? I'm glad I did. I was amazed that Murray won in the style that he did, especially as I had a feeling that he might once again be disappointed. But it shows what an incredible confidence boost that winning a big competition can give you as, since winning gold at the Olympics last year, Murray has gone on to win two and come second in one of the last three majors that he has competed for. You can also see just how much pressure he felt to deliver the title in the final game of the match, losing 3 championship points before then recovering to win after the 4th deuce. I guess that victory makes him British and not Scottish, at least for another year...

I love weekend's like the one just gone, when everyone in the country gets behind various sportsmen, women or teams and even more so when they are victorious. Let's just hope the England team can continue the trend in the first Ashes test this week - if the weather stays like this, it makes for a fantastic few days of cricket and I can't wait to take my seat in the sun at Trent Bridge on Wednesday and Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment